I’m aware that I haven’t posted in a while. Literally March was the last time I posted. Apologies for that and the lack of critical reviews which many seem to enjoy. Anyways, today’s post will be regarding the latest party – the Music Jam.
I’m sure many of us have experienced a Music Jam. Older players like myself have experienced every single one (the first and arguably the best taking place way back in 2008) and have become aware of what the party usually includes, and why players like myself love these events so much. Let’s look back at a brief summary of each one..
Music Jam ’08: The first Music Jam was an extremely popular event. The first of it’s kind, it introduced the beloved Penguin Band as mascots for the first time as well as the now retired game DJ3K. Each major part of the island was decorated with different musical themes including Classical, Pop, Rock and Country etc. Members could access the exclusive Backstage room located behind a stage at the Dock where one or all Penguin Band members would visit when they were on a break from performing at the Iceberg (which occurred every few days). Items included a Music Jam T-Shirt, a pair of Maracas and the Penguin Band autograph if you were lucky enough to meet any members of the Band.
Music Jam ’09: This party was more of an evolution than a revolution when compared to the original. It featured Cadence as a mascot as well as the Penguin Band. Many rooms were re-used including the Member’s-only Backstage area. Another Members-exclusive area was added known as the Night Club Rooftop and featured a Boombox item. Overall, this was basically the 2008 Music Jam with a few additions.
Music Jam ’10: For the third time in three years the Music Jam made a reappearance showing its’ popularity. However, this was gradually decreasing due to many older penguins having already experienced two of these already. This one again featured Cadence and the Penguin Band as mascots, although this would be the Band’s last appearance in their “old Western look” before becoming modern. The only real difference between this and the 2009 Jam were simply the items. Easy job at the CP office for this party I guess!
Music Jam ’11: This was the fourth and final (until 2014) Music Jam of its’ name. With Club Penguin becoming obsessed with recruiting more and more Members, free items throughout 2011 were mainly re-coloured hat items and this was reflected within this party with the only free item (excluding backgrounds) being the Music Jam Cap. How exciting! This party was also highly controversial due to CP giving the Penguin Band a new look that they explained was modern. Looking like members of One Direction, the band lost the simplicity and music style that many loved. Many rooms remained the same, with some receiving minor adjustments.
Make your Mark: Ultimate Jam: This was also unofficially known as the Music Jam 2012. It featured two Disney mascots in Rocky and CeCe as well as the usual Cadence and the Penguin Band. This one took place at night and was the biggest change to the Music Jam since the introduction of the Music Jam series. New items and new decorations, it had a fresh feel that was very welcome. However, it was quickly criticised due to the Disney influence present in the party.
Teen Beach Movie Summer Jam: Whilst not necessary a Music Jam, it was considered a combination of that, the Summer Party and the Water Party. Despite the party being focused upon an obvious promotion for an upcoming Disney film, it did have a classic CP party feel that the game was seriously lacking. It introduced many, many new items (including a new lei which did differ from the design used for both the Hawaiian and Blue Lei) as well as completely new summer themed decor. Does it actually count as a Music Jam however? Not really, but it’s worth a mention.
And thus brings us to the latest Music Jam – Music Jam 2014. You may be wondering why I added controversial remix in the title. Well, let’s just say it’s completely different to past Music Jam’s, so much so that some penguins have said it barely deserves to share the same name as the old classics. Let’s see why…
Who knew?! The thought of a Music Jam had many thinking a good ol’ classic party was taking place on the island this Summer and of course, many were excited. However, what we didn’t know was that CP had something up their sleeve. Rather than just showing performances from Cadence and the beloved Penguin Band (who were badly lacking a visit to the island), we will also be blessed with performances from 4 singers from Disney TV shows including Violetta, Sabrina Carpenter, Zendaya and Cole Plante. Great thinking CP, just what the whole community wants!
Barely Decorated Island
This has annoyed many penguins for a year or so now. How many parties does CP throw only to have an exclusive party room decorated whereas the island remains less decorated than the Beta Test party in 2005. I understand some penguins may not want to take place in the parties but the majority of us do. So how does this apply to the Music Jam, you ask? Well, two rooms of the island are decorated in comparison to the whole island of prior Jams. One of which (the Town) uses the exact same decor as the Teen Beach Movie Summer Jam. That seems very..lazy in all honesty. So if the party doesn’t take place on the island, where does it take place?!
…A..b..boa….a boat? Well when I think Music Jam I instantly think boats as I’m sure many of you do. I’m quite confused as to why CP made the whole party on a boat, or as they call it, the Music Cruise. I mean, it sounds good for a Summer party or something, but a Music Jam on a boat seems a little TV-show-ish. Is this supposed to be the boat that rocked? (or didn’t in this case). There are 8 separate rooms of the boat which is pretty cool to explore, until you realise there isn’t much to do. Of course the major part of this party is music, and the music is pretty good in many of the rooms. The performance area is nicely decorated and even has a SoundStudio booth so you don’t have to go all the way back to the Dance Club. I also like how the sky changes and the interactivity some rooms include.
Overall, the party isn’t exactly bad. It just seems a little odd that this shares the same name as a party which had the whole island decorated and had no mentions of boats whatsoever. What next? The Holiday Party will take place on a Hot Air Balloon? I’m sure CP completely re-designed this party because of how similar the old ones were to eachother. Many would agree the Music Jam needed something new, but I doubt many would come up with a Music Cruise as a solution. Anyhow, we have Disney character performances and some decent looking items to look forward to. And of course for those who want to give this party a miss, remember that next month’s party is a Disney’s Frozen Summer party!
Random CP Fact #20: Entering the code BEARS418 will unlock 10 Koi Ponds and 10 Mossy Logs for your Igloo!
It’s almost guaranteed that every year brings a new room to the island. Last year we had the Puffle Hotel plus the Snow Dojo. As the title heavily suggests, we will be getting two new rooms. The Puffle Park will be an extension to the Pet Shop and will be arriving in April with the annual Puffle Party. Here’s a screenshot Polo Field gave us earlier showing how it looks:
It looks great in my opinion, the whole nature theme is present and it’s not an overcrowded mess like the Pet Shop currently is. I do wish Polo Field only showed part of the room though and left the rest for the party. Nevertheless, we can be sure our Puffles will interact with the park items.
The next room is a strange one. It was found by some players and can currently be accessed by visiting http://play.clubpenguin.com/?rm=851#login and logging in with your usual account details.Upon logging in successfully, you will be placed in a room called Fog Forest. Little is known about this room but it’s definitely…foggy.
You may also notice there’s a shadow of a large penguin holding what looks to be a puffle in the top right of the Fog Forest. There also looks to be a shadowed giant puffle behind that. Very strange!
In other news: The CP iPad app (which will be for iPhone and iPod Touch in a few weeks, Android is still 6 months away) will receive another big update soon. Update 1.4 will feature Puffles for the very first time. They apparently look awesome in 3D so that should be pretty nice. Speaking of Puffles, there will be at least 2 more this year. One is the Cat Puffle and the other, a Dog Puffle (I don’t even know why these need to exist). Both are expected to début with the next version of the app.
Random CP Fact #19: Club Penguin recently released a new code that unlocks a Red & Yellow Party Hat. This party hat celebrates 5 years since CP was released in French. The code is CADEAUCP.
Until next time, Waddle on!
It’s been a fair while (haha, get it?) since my last post so I decided it was about time for another critical review. You may realise I didn’t post a critical review of last month’s Prehistoric Party. In short, it was better than the 2013 version but Dino Dig remained an annoyance. On top of that, we now have Dino Puffles which I’m still slightly confused about (why are they necessary..). Anyways, in this post I will be reviewing this month’s Fair!
This years’ Fair is the first to be held in February rather than September where it received it’s logical and more catchier name of the Fall Fair. The date is not the only thing different about this years however and I’m sure those who’ve already logged in have discovered this. This years takes place in a off-map place called the Amazement Park (entrance is located at the Dock). It is split up into 3 sections, each containing a ride (Members only of course, unless you have a Silver Ticket but more on that later), some mini-games and some pretty sweet decorations. The rest of the island isn’t decorated whatsoever, though the sky is purpley/orange (like an evening sky) which is quite nice.
- New Prizes: There are a lot of new prizes this time, both for Members and Non-Members. In fact, every single item that’s available for everyone is brand new, though some are obviously re-coloured versions of past items.
- Mascots: In previous years Rockhopper used to join us during the Fair and was meetable on the island. This time, we have Rookie. The Penguin Band also plays “Anchors Aweigh!” in the centre of the Amazement Park but they are simply animated penguins rather than the actual mascots. They, as well as Rookie do give out a free background though. (Click on the Penguin Band when performing to get it).
- New Features: What was nice about this party was that it wasn’t exactly the same as previous Fairs. The rides are a decent idea as it allows more stuff to do rather than just collecting tickets. There’s also a Daily Spin game where you can win some pins, tickets, coins and even a background.
- Unplugged Arcade Machine: Remember that red unplugged arcade machine in the Dance Lounge that was never plugged in so nobody knew what the game was? Well, now we do! It contains a game called 8-bit which you can waddle around using a simple 8-bit penguin to collect other 8-bit objects for tickets (think of it like Pac-Man, though with no ghosts).
- Silver Tickets: Okay so only members can ride on the 3 rides, right? Well, if non-members manage to win a Silver Ticket on The Daily Spin, then they can get access to any ride they desire. That’s a pretty cool idea from CP. Note: It only works once, leaving the room the ride is in means you cannot access it again without winning another Silver Ticket. Also, if Members win a Silver Ticket then they receive 1000 coins instead.
- Decorations: Where would a party be without it’s decor? There’s some nicely decorated rooms, I especially liked the different themed sections inside the Amazement Park (The Galaxy Park is probably my fave). The sky also looks nice, which I stated previously. It really adds a different mood to the game, much like the night sky does during the Halloween parties.
- Prices of items: If you’ve been collecting each item everyday like me, then you’ll know how much of a pain it is to collect so many tickets just for one item. Back in 2007 when the Fair was first introduced, items cost similar to what they do this year. However, 2012’s Fair saw prices drop to 100-500 tickets per item. This year, items cost from 500 to 1500 tickets, which is a lot when you consider how many items there are.
- Come back everyday: This has become a feature that annoys me. It just seems like a rather cheap way of getting players to log-in everyday to collect an item, then log-off again. Not only is there a new item everyday but also a new spin on The Daily Spin game. I suppose it’s better than simply logging it to click “Collect” then logging out again.
- The Daily Spin: What? That amazingly fun game of talent is on the bad list? Why?! Because it’s frustrating. There are 3 items that people like me who collect each item on the wheel want. Those are the two pins and the background. The only issue is that The Daily Spin is random, so you often find yourself getting 50 coins or 100 tickets instead. Jimbobson hasn’t got any of the items yet and only has 3 days to do so. But since it’s random and requires no talent or tactics or gameplay, it seems unlikely that he will get any. Annoying.
So overall The Fair is a decent party. I wouldn’t say it was the best party every like Polo Field did, but it’s still pretty interesting. I recommend collecting the items and other stuff if you haven’t already. Remember that March’s party will be the Muppets Most Wanted Takeover. That should be very erm, interesting.
Random CP Fact #18: The St. Patrick’s Day party used to be an annual party that was held in March to celebrate the Irish holiday. In total there has been 4 of these from 2006-2009. They have been stopped as not everyone in the world celebrates the holiday.
Until next time, Waddle on!
Happy New Year Penguins!
Well, it’s official. 2013 is now over so I can write a yearly review without irritating penguins complaining about those bloggers who wrote their yearly reviews like 3 days before 1st January, as if they expected CP to do something amazing on 31st December or something. Anyway, let us begin!
Like every year, we have seen the usual monthly events and parties, fortnightly pins and 12 Penguin Styles catalogues. Combine these with plenty of new items, puffles and games and you’ll soon realise how busy this year has been. Despite the huge introduction of many, many new things, CP still has yet to show us the likes of Sever Jumping and CP Next – something which sounds very exciting and will possibly make 2014 the biggest year yet on the island. Time to look back at the good (and bad?) parts of this year.
- A LOT of new parties and events: Very few parties these year were returned except the of course the usual Halloween and Holiday Parties. The majority of the rest were new, including the Prehistoric Party, the Card Jitsu Snow Party and Operation Puffle. Exciting times!
- My Penguin app: A true milestone in CP’s history right here. Puffle Launch didn’t come close to how awesome this app actually is. Initially starting off as a app to simply view your penguin and play games on your iPad quickly became an app that allowed users to access several rooms in the game – including their own igloos!
- Complete redesign of the island with updated graphics: This was highly controversial at first; with many older penguins worrying that “Old CP” would officially be gone for good. After a while, it was clear that the new graphics were necessary to keep the game looking modern.
- Puffles: Fans of Puffles had a great year this year. Typically the CP Team release a new Puffle approximately every year. However, 2013 brought us not 1, but 2 puffles! Both the legendary Rainbow and Golden puffles were discovered in 2013; unfortunately however both were for Members. But more on this later.
- New Rooms/Games: We’ve all come to expect this by now. What would a year be without a new room or game? This year saw the introduction of the Club Penguin University (inspired by Monsters University) and the Puffle Hotel (Puffle Party). Alongside the new rooms we saw the release of a brand new game in May; the highly anticipated Card Jitsu Snow.
- Weekly videos: These don’t really affect the island but are still nice. Weekly videos in the form of The Spoiler Alert and comedic Waddle On, hosted by members of the CP Team including Polo Field, Ninja and Megg certainly brightens the community.
- Non-Members get an igloo: Although this doesn’t seem major, the Holiday Party saw non-members getting a free igloo (Sweet Swirl Igloo) for the first time ever. Prior to this, non-members were only able to live in their plain standard, small igloo. Even igloos available from codes (Pineapple Igloo) were members only.
Whilst nothing about 2013 on CP was particularly bad, these are a few of my least favourite additions.
- Some parties: Although I did enjoy a fair few of the parties this past year, some were more irritating than fun. The first example here is the Prehistoric Party which had us playing the dreaded Dino Dig to obtain items. This game took far too long and wasn’t particularly exciting. Other examples include the Hollywood Party which was, in my opinion, the weakest event of 2013.
- Duration of parties: I know I’ve said this before but the duration of the parties goes on for far too long when compared to the older days of 2006/7 when parties lasted a few days rather than 2 weeks. The longer the party goes on for the longer penguins get bored, typically anyway.
- New Penguin graphics: By this I don’t mean the actual sprites in game. I instead mean the way penguins are shown in the Newspaper or how mascots are on their playercards. I realise CP wants the game to look fresh but, these sharper/slimmer/shinier penguins look kinda scary.
- Disney Takeovers: Yeah I bet y’all knew this was coming. I’m not a Disney hater or anything; but placing 3 Disney-themed parties in 3 consecutive months was too much. It’s also clear that the team puts a lot more effort into the Disney-themed parties than they do for their classic parties. However, I did find that the Teen Beach Movie Summer Jam was perhaps the best party of the year as it truly had the feel of a classic Summer on CP.
- Slow Loading: Still haunts the game to this day and has done since 2005 – though it currently seems to be a lot worse due to the higher amount of penguins. Yes it’s true that the CP Server is located in Las Vegas and I’m in England, but the lag is still annoying. Hopefully CP Next will fix this?
And so concludes a very brief review of 2013 in CP. I’ve quite enjoyed this year and look forward to what 2014 will bring. One thing is certain, if we do see the introduction of CP Next and the full online experience added to the iPad app (and iPhone/iPod and Android versions), 2014 could be one amazing year.
Random CP Fact #17: Club Penguin Co-Founder Rsnail (Lance Priebe) has stated that he may return to CP as he has a couple of new ideas for the game.
Until next time, Waddle on!
UPDATE: Even more rooms have been added to the app. The Dock, Snow Forts, Beach, Lighthouse (interior) and Beacon are all now available to access. You don’t even need to update the app – simply login and play!
I realise I haven’t posted in quite a while, University work and a social life can be hard to manage time wise. Nevertheless, this post will be regarding the new My Penguin update. Firstly, the app is now called Club Penguin (I bet this will cause some confusion). In 1.3, users can now access the Town and the buildings within it (Coffee Shop, Dance Club and Clothes Shop), with most containing new music. Users can also transport to another penguin’s location – much like Server Jumping which still hasn’t arrived.
A screenshot of the Town in Club Penguin 1.3 – note Spike Hike.
For those who were wondering, CP will slowly be adding more rooms over the next few months. Eventually, they want to use new technology dubbed CP Next to transport the iPad version to the online version, including the 3D penguin graphics. An iPhone and Android version are both in the works.
In other news: The Holiday Party begins next week so be sure to check that out. I can’t wait to see what will be different this year!
Random CP Fact #16: The Prehistoric Party first seen in January 2013 will be arriving again in January 2014. Spike Hike has stated that the party will include new features, though.
Until next time, Waddle on!
It’s no secret that the Golden Puffle will be the next coloured puffle to hit the island. In fact, we’ve already seen it. This will be the 2nd new puffle of the year, with the first being the Rainbow Puffle during the Puffle Party. It seems this year CP is really working on making the most popular rumours become a reality. For those who are for some reason still sceptical, here’s the new log off screen featuring our latest furry friend.
From this screen alone, we are aware that the Golden Puffle will be available for members which isn’t very surprising, but basically means this whole “Quest for the Golden Puffle” mini-event will be worthless for non-members. How kind. Secondly, we can be sure that Golden Puffles will sometimes dig up rare golden items that will probably be the main reason for kids buying Memberships this month. Finally, we can see that this legendary puffle will be found in one of the “new caves” that has been found in the Mine. Exciting!
So what’s my opinion? I love the design of this new puffle, so much so I think it may be my new favourite (alongside the Yellow Puffle). However, it does seem very similar in terms of colour to the Yellow one, just with a golden tint to it’s fur, eyes and mouth. Nevertheless, it looks pretty amazing. However, I am pretty disappointed it will only be for Members. Yeah we all saw this coming, but still. It was nice to hope.
Finally, I really dislike how CP has completely spoiled the whole event; we all know what colour the new puffle will be and are even shown what it will look like! That’s no fun.. Who remembers when new puffles were introduced by surprise? It was certainly a much better experience. Anyway, I look forward to our new arrival and may even buy a Membership just for this lil guy. I sure hope CP make a toy version, though this seems unlikely.
Random CP Fact #15: Puffles were first found on the island in November 2005. Initially there were only Blue, Pink, Green and Black colours. Including the Golden Puffle, there are currently 12 different colours of puffles available.
Until next time, Waddle on!
It’s hard to believe our favourite online game has now turned 8 years old. As always, CP is celebrating their birthday by throwing one of their annual Anniversary parties. As with several before, this one occurs at the same time as the Halloween party. The Coffee shop has been turned into a museum and includes a free party hat. Below is an image of the Coffee Shop (the only decorated room for the Anniversary party). As we are taking a waddle down memory lane, I decided to use Jord4 for this post.
(Click for full size).
In terms of this years party hat, it is rainbow coloured and follows the same design as the 6th Anniversary hat. The gradient looks slightly different and more ‘polished’ than previous hats. Here’s how it looks on Jord4’s playercard:
The party is said to go on for 4 days, giving you plenty of time to check out the party and pick up the hat (as well as the Halloween party which is due to end next Thursday). Be sure to do the latter as this hat, like all party hats, will NEVER return!
CP Random Fact #14: CP has stated that all items will return one day, excluding Party Hats and pins. This includes all the Anniversary hats and the Beta Hats, making them hypothetically the rarest of all items.
Until next time, Waddle on!
You may have read the title and become slightly confused. The 8th Anniversary Party isn’t until October, how can there be a party hat released already? Well, this party hat is unique due to the fact that it isn’t actually available anywhere on the island itself. Instead, it requires a code to be unlocked via unlocking items online. Where is this code you ask? It can only be found in Issue #15 of the Brazilian Club Penguin Magazine. Don’t worry though, for the code is not unique to each magazine and so will work for everyone. It can be found below.
The hat’s official name is the 5 Year Celebration Hat (not to be confused with the 5th Anniversary Party Hat) and, as the name suggests, celebrates 5 years since CP was released in Portuguese. Here is how the hat looks on Jim:
Remember that this code can be used once per penguin; meaning you can also use it on any other accounts you may own. Personally, I feel that CP is ruining the Party Hats as they were once special due to only being released during an anniversary party. Having one as an unlockable seems a little strange..
Random CP Fact #13: There are currently a total of 10 party hats with an 11th expected next month during CP’s 8th Anniversary party. The first was (obviously) the Beta Hat released in 2005, with the latest being the 5 Year Celebration Hat.
Until next time, Waddle on!
As I said previously, I will be doing FAQ posts often; answering any questions that penguins search for into their search engine and end up finding my site. These questions have been asked throughout this and previous months.
Q: Is CP Closing?
I’m unsure where this rumour came from in the first place. Perhaps it was that Toon Town was recently closed down? Anyways, CP has no plans to shut down. I doubt it ever will due to the massive fanbase and employees located around the world. CP is just too popular! (Note: That’s a good thing).
Q: CP Pineapple Igloo Code?
Not necessarily a question. More of a demand. Anyway, there is no code available that unlocks the Pineapple igloo. The only way it was obtained was buy unlocking all 20 of the items found on packs of Innocent Smoothies throughout the UK. Once you’d unlocked all items, you got a free Pineapple Igloo with it. Each code unlocked several items. It’s members only. Fun fact: Jimbobson 2 has the Pineapple Igloo.
Q: How to hack _______ item?
I find this a lot. Usually for something like the magazine items, the Red Lei or the Beta Hat. You should not hack as you are breaking CP’s rules and will at some point, be banned for hacking an item that is not currently available, especially one that is considered rare. As for HOW these people are hacking, say the Beta Hat, they are using third-party programmes. As for what they are, I’m not sure.
Q: How can non-members get yellow puffles (and other member items)?
Non-members can obtain members only items through unlocking them via the Treasure Book. However, as the book is getting updated soon with new ways to unlock, it could mean you have to have a membership code to do just that. As for the yellow (and other member puffles), simply by a Puffle plush (with hat) and you will unlock both the hat and the same coloured puffle (plus an item of your choice from the Treasure Book) online.
Q: How to get the Rainbow Lollipop on CP?
I am shocked at how much this directs people to Club Penguin Frontier. There are two kinds of Rainbow Lollipops in CP. The first is a hand item, it was available for everyone at the Fall Fair 2007, 2008 and in 2012. The second is a food item and the Rainbow Puffles favourite. They can both be found via Puffle Digging (which requires a Membership).
Q: What do I do after I’ve completed Card Jitsu Fire, Water and Snow?
Congratulations on completing all the Card Jitsus to date! As for what to do next, patience is the key Grasshopper. Card Jitsu Shadow could be among us very soon..
Q: Can you be friends with mascots?
Yes, simply click the add penguin button on their playercard. They should automatically be then added to your friends list.
Q: Is Foxotic copying other virtual worlds?
It is evident that many of the rooms in the game have been heavily inspired by others such as CP, Pandanda etc. Also for the record, Foxotic is not owned by any company associated with the games it has “copied”.
Hopefully this will clear up any questions any of you may have. Of course, I will be doing these kind of posts often (once enough questions have been asked). You can also ask questions via the Contact Us page or simply by commenting anywhere on the site. All questions will be answered. That is the Club Penguin Frontier guarantee! (as of just now until whenever).
Random CP Fact #12: There are a current total of 3 coloured inflatable ducks (body item). These colours are green, yellow and blue. The green is currently the rarest as it was released way back during the Summer Kick Off party in 2007. The yellow was released during the Summer Kick Off party 2006 (and again during the Water Party 2008). The blue is members only and was released in the Penguin Style August 2010 and September 2011 editions.
Until next time, Waddle on!
This post isn’t really breaking news or anything that important, especially if you’re new to the island. Those older penguins may remember when the Lighthouse had music playing at all times (before the instrument feature became active). This music was known as Ocean Voyage (sometimes referred to as the Lighthouse music) and also played during the Pirate parties. Recently, it has not been heard of. However, this all changed today.
As we all know by now, Rockhopper has arrived back to Club Penguin island after about a year away. His jacket isn’t the only new thing either, as a remixed version of the Ocean Voyage track now plays in the Migrator! Great addition in my opinion, though I may be slightly biased as Ocean Voyage is my favourite track in CP’s history. Just saying.
In other news: I will soon be adding a couple of new posts every now and again. The first will focus on the frequently asked questions I get (questions that help people find my blog in the first place). This will hopefully mean that users will be able to have their questions asked – completely anonymously (even I don’t know who ask these questions). The next page will be an item in focus where I will write a few paragraphs about a certain item, such as when it was released and during what party etc.
Random CP Fact #11: Rockhopper first introduced Red Puffles to the island – he brought them back from their native home at Rockhopper Island. The Captain even has a red puffle himself named Yarr.
Until next time, Waddle on!